YOUR BOOKCASE: JESSICA

"Welcome, Anne. I thought you'd come today. You belong to the afternoon so it brought you. Things that belong together are sure to come together. What a lot of trouble that would save some people if they only knew it."

- L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea (1908)


COLOURFUL

And now? How do I introduce her? Our today's reader is an American lady who owns a Scottish soul. So, some years ago, she came to the Continent to have it back. Then, in that beautiful country, she settled down. I got to know her properly this summer in Wigtown, Scotland's National Booktown, where me and my friend Chiara went to try an experience as "booksellers". I think this picture perfectly represents my first impression of her: shiny, creative, ethusiastic. She is a film-maker living now in Edinburgh, yet her ties to "the sleepy hamlet" and its people are still strong; indeed, she's an organizer of Wigtown Book Festival and other minor events taking place there. The bookcase on the back kind of mirrors her versatile personality, too, I guess. It looks full of different books on different subjects that perfectly fit together. And you feel tempted to go through them all.

Jessica's choices and comments: 

1) ANNE OF AVONLEA
L.M. Montgomery (1908)

It's hard to pick the L.M. Montgomery book that I couldn't live without (there are so many...) but if I pressed, this would be the one. Anne is my favourite hero of all time. In this book there are wonderful characters, like Miss Lavendar and L.M. Montgomery's nature writing is at its height. This book is so dear to my heart, the lessons in it and the celebration of life have shaped my life entirely.

2) THE CLASSIC FAIRY TALES
Maria Tatar (1999)

Another book that I read over and over again. Not only I am slightly obsessed with Maria Tatar (she's beautiful inside and out) but this book in particular, mixes psychology, anthropology and fantastic storytelling... all leading to something that I would equate as my intellectual comfort blanket. I love having this book on my shelf. I need to know it's there.

3) LETTERS TO A YOUNG POET
Rainer maria Rilke (1929)

Closest thing I have to a religious text.


Thank you, Jessica: for creating this bridge across countries and being our first "foreign" guest; for naming a German poet I felt so close to; for, above all, celebrating the incomparable carachter of Anne Shirley. I could never think of my childhood without her; my life either.


COLORATA

E adesso? Come ve la presento? La lettrice di oggi è una ragazza americana che ha scoperto di possedere un'anima scozzese. Quindi, diversi anni fa, è approdata nel Continente per venire a riprendersela. Poi, in quella terra meravigliosa, ci si è trasferita. L'ho conosciuta l'estate scorsa a Wigtown, il paese scozzese dei libri, dove io e Chiara siamo andate a fare un'esperienza come "libraie". Penso che questa foto renda perfettamente l'idea della prima impressione che ho avuto di lei: solare, creativa, entusiasta. Adesso lavora come regista a Edimburgo ma il legame con "il borgo dormiente" e i suoi abitanti rimane forte. Infatti è tutt'ora una delle organizzatrici del Wigtown Book Festival e di altri eventi nel paese. Anche la libreria credo rispecchi la sua personalità poliedrica. Contiene libri di diverso tipo e diverso genere ma che sembrano stare benissimo insieme. Si è tentati di prenderli e sfogliarli tutti.

Le scelte di Jessica e i suoi commenti: 

1) ANNA DAI CAPELLI ROSSI: L'ETA' MERAVIGLIOSA
L.M. Montgomery (1908)

E' difficile decidere con quale dei libri di L.M. Montgomery non potrei vivere senza(ce ne sono così tanti...) ma se devo farlo, sarebbe questo. Anna è la mia eroina preferita di sempre. In questo libro ci sono dei personaggi meravigliosi, come Miss Lavendar. Qui, inoltre, la forza espressiva di L.M. Montgomery si esprime al massimo. Questo libro mi è estremamente caro; le lezioni e la celebrazione della vita in esso contenute danno forma alla mia esistenza.

2) THE CLASSIC FAIRY TALES
Maria Tatar (1999)

Un altro libro che non mi stanco mai di leggere. Sono leggermente ossessionata da Maria Tatar (è bella dentro e fuori). Questo libro, in particolare, mescola psicologia, antropologia e una favolosa capacità narrativa... tutte questi aspetti portano a qualcosa che io identifico con il mio rifugio intellettuale. Mi piace avere questo libro sullo scaffale. Ho bisogno di sapere che è lì.

3) LETTERE A UN GIOVANE POETA
Rainer Maria Rilke (1929)

E' la cosa più vicina ad un testo religioso che possiedo.


Ti ringrazio, Jessica: per aver creato questo ponte tra diversi Paesi ed essere stata la nostra prima ospite "straniera"; per aver nominato un poeta tedesco che in passato ho sentito vicino; ma soprattutto grazie di aver reso omaggio all'insuperabile personaggio di Anna Shirley. Io non potrei mai immaginare la mia infanzia senza di lei. E nemmeno la mia vita.








Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

DINNER WITH THE AUTHOR

CALIGULA

IN VIAGGIO CON...FRANCESCA