TRAVELLING WITH...LAURA

'But they shouldn't call that lovely place the Avenue. There is no meaning in a place like that. They should call it - let me see - The White Way of Delight. Isn't that a nice imaginative name?'

- L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables (1908) 



This is Laura and she works in a Scottish Library, in Nairn, to be precise. If you happen to be there, please, pay a visit!
The moment I have read her fictional character's name, I smiled with joy; and I kept on doing that while picturing the poetic setting she suggested:

'I would love Anne Shirley to come and visit my garden here in Scotland in the Spring time when the Plum trees are full of frothy scented blossoms.
A beautiful scene in the book has captivated me since I first read it as a child. Riding through a flowery avenue of blossom trees with her newly acquainted adoptive guardian Matthew, Anne earnestly proclaims it to be "the White Way of Delight"... Her flowery language and eagerness in stark contrast to the simple quiet shyness of Matthew beside her.
Every spring I eagerly celebrate "the White Way of Delight" appearing in my garden with heartfelt joy and know that Anne Shirley would too.'

Thank you Laura, for bringing up such an amazing girl as Anne, whom I have adored for my entire life. Still, she has got so much to 'teach' us, like the way she looks at things around her. I have adored Matthew, as well and found him reliable and tender. 
I'd like to be in that garden too and enjoy three beautiful things in a row -  Spring in Scotland, a red-haired girl, a brilliant woman I've been so lucky to meet this year in a book shop. 

L'ospite di stasera è la bibliotecaria di un paese scozzese. Sceglie i colori e i fiori del suo giardino durante la primavera come setting ideale per trascorrere un po' di tempo con Anna Shirley, la famosa Anna dai capelli rossi che ci ha fatto tanto sognare da piccoli: la sua spontaneità, il suo amore per le parole e l'uso del linguaggio, il suo incantarsi di fronte alla natura.
Io la ringrazio, e immagino un giorno di primavera in un giardino delle Highlands in compagnia di Anna, personaggio che ho amato moltissimo. 

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

DINNER WITH THE AUTHOR

CALIGULA

IN VIAGGIO CON...FRANCESCA